A Monster of a sweepstakes
Editor’s note: The Monster Cereal Sweepstakes ended on October 22, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
See the official Monster Cereal Sweepstakes rules here.
Although this Halloween looks different, we believe it can still be special.
That’s why we’re doing something we’ve never done before.
Something monstrously exciting.
That’s right, we’re bringing three of our iconic Monsters – Boo Berry, Count Chocula and Franken Berry – to life as one-of-a-kind busts.
And one of them could be yours.
These incredible busts are the work of award-winning special effects artist, Karlee Morse.
“General Mills called me up this year and they were looking for a way to make Halloween super special,” says Morse. “They wanted to bring their Monster Cereal characters to life in a way that’s never been done before, and I said, ‘of course!’ I am a huge fan of Count Chocula specifically, so when they called me I kind of had to pinch myself. I was really excited to be involved in this.”
Morse’s work is typically for film and television, so working on the Monster Cereal busts was a new, but exciting challenge for her.
“There’s a lot of attention to detail,” she says. “I spent a lot of time and love and care putting into this… I’m so excited to see what fans think of these character busts.”
Here’s a behind-the-scenes look at how Morse brought three of our iconic Monsters to life.
For your chance to win one of the three Monster Cereal busts, visit the General Mills Instagram account, “like” the official Monster Cereal Sweepstakes post and tell us which Monster from our Monster Cereals is your favorite in the comments, using the hashtag #MonsterCerealSweepstakes.
For media requests, email email@example.com
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES AND D.C., 18 YEARS OF AGE AND OLDER
- ELIGIBILITY: The Sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States, and D.C., who are 18 years of age or older at time of entry. Employees of Sponsor, or its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies, and their family members and persons living in the same households of such employees are not eligible to enter. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Sweepstakes is void outside of the 50 United States/D.C. and where prohibited by law. By entering, winners certify that they meet all eligibility requirements. Each entrant may be required to furnish proof of identification and other proof of eligibility under these Official Rules. You are not authorized to participate in the Sweepstakes if you are not located within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.
- SWEEPSTAKES PERIOD: The #MonsterCerealSweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) will take place from Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 12:00:00 AM Eastern Time (“ET”) through Thursday, October 22, 2020 11:59:59 PM ET (“Sweepstakes Period”).
- TO ENTER: You will need an Instagram account in order to enter the Sweepstakes. Instagram accounts are free. On October 15, 2020 on or around 12:00 AM ET, General Mills will make a post on Instagram to its account (https://www.instagram.com/generalmills/?hl=en) announcing the Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes Post”). During the Sweepstakes Period, sign into your Instagram account (“Account”), and go to General Mills’ Instagram account, and take the following actions:
1) “Like” the Sweepstakes Post;
2) Tell us which Monster from Monster Cereals is your favorite in the Comments below the Sweepstakes Post, and include the hashtag #MonsterCerealSweepstakes in your Comment.
Both steps must be taken completely in order to receive an entry into the Sweepstakes. Once an entrant likes the Sweepstakes Post on the General Mills Instagram account and comments on the Sweepstakes Post with #MonstersCerealSweepstakes, such actions shall be referred to herein each as a “Submission” or collectively the “Submissions”.
You will receive one (1) entry into the Sweepstakes for your Submission. LIMIT: One (1) entry per person throughout the Sweepstakes Period.
By uploading your Submission, you agree that your Submission will not infringe on any rights of any third parties and conforms to the Submission Guidelines as defined below and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify you from the Sweepstakes if it believes that your Submission fails to conform to the Submission Guidelines.
By uploading a Submission, you also grant Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such Submission in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, in perpetuity, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, for any purpose whatsoever, including for promotional or marketing purposes. Entering any Submission further constitutes your consent to grant the Sponsor certain rights in and to the Submission, as described in Section 8, below. Each Submission entered must meet all Submission Guidelines (described below). Only the person submitting the Submission will be eligible to win a prize. Submissions that are lost, late, incomplete, illegible or corrupted are void and will not be accepted.
If you choose to enter using your mobile device, standard data fees may apply. You should consult your wireless service provider’s pricing plan for details. You agree to incur any and all charges demanded by your wireless carrier. You should also check your device’s features for capabilities and check the device manual for specific use instructions.
Duplicate Submissions by the same entrant will be subject to disqualification. Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different Instagram or email accounts, identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that entrant’s entries and that entrant may be disqualified. All terms and conditions of Instagram.com apply. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same Instagram account. Use of any automated system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification. In the event of a dispute as to any Instagram account, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register on the platform will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Each potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder.
All entries become the sole and exclusive property of the Sponsor and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor.
- SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Submission cannot: (a) be sexually explicit or suggestive, violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group, profane or pornographic, contain or reference nudity or any materially dangerous activity; (b) promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message; (c) be obscene or offensive, endorse any form of hate or hate group; (d) contain or reference trademarks, logos (except Sponsor’s) or trade dress owned by others, or advertise or promote any brand or product (except Sponsor’s) of any kind, without permission, or contain any personal identification, such as license plate numbers, personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses; (e) contain copyrighted materials owned by others without permission; and (f) contain materials embodying the names, likenesses, or other indicia identifying any person, living or dead, without permission.
By entering a Submission, you warrant and represent that: (a) it does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity and (b) publication of the Submission via various media including Web posting and posting in social media, will not infringe on the rights of any third party. Entrant will indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor from any claims to the contrary. Any Submission that, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, is deemed to be inappropriate for publication or inclusion in the Sweepstakes for any reason will be disqualified from the Sweepstakes.
Each entrant acknowledges that other entrants may have used ideas and/or concepts in their Submission that may be similar in idea or concept to what is included in entrant’s Submission. Each entrant understands and agrees that he/she shall not have any claim against any other entrant or Sponsor arising out any such similarity or be entitled to any compensation because of any such similarity. Sponsor’s decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Sweepstakes, including, but not limited to, interpretation and application of these Official Rules.
Sponsor grants eligible entrants a limited, revocable, non-sublicensable license to use Sponsor’s names, marks, and/or characters for purposes of the Sweepstakes (collectively, “Sweepstakes IP”) for the sole purpose of creating and submitting the Submission for review and assessment in this Sweepstakes. In addition, entrants recognize that all right, title, and interest in Sweepstakes IP as well as all derivative works created using Sweepstakes IP shall vest exclusively to Sponsor, and entrant agrees that he/she has not and will not take any action that might harm or adversely affect such rights.
- SWEEPSTAKES WINNER DETERMINATION: At the end the Sweepstakes Period on or about October 23, 2020, three (3) winners will be selected in a random drawing from all eligible entries received. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received for the drawing. Sweepstakes Drawing will be conducted by Sponsor and Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters.
Potential winners will be notified on or about October 23, 2020 and may be required to sign and return, where legal, an Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and/or rights transfer document within seventy-two (72) hours of receipt. If any potential winner is considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, Affidavit or Declaration of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity and rights transfer document must be signed by his/her parent or legal guardian.
Potential winner will be notified by a direct message and/or reply on the potential winner’s Instagram Comment. Potential winners will be required to provide Sponsor with their name, email address, mailing address and date of birth to confirm eligibility and for prize fulfillment within forty-eight (48) hours in order to claim their prize. If any potential winner cannot be contacted within forty-eight (48) hours of first notification attempt, if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, if any potential winner rejects his/her prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Sweepstakes rules and requirements, such prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate winner from all remaining eligible entries (time-permitting). Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given.
- PRIZES: Each Winner will receive one Monster hand-crafted bust. Approximate retail value (“ARV”) of each prize: $1,000. Winner may not choose Prize. Sponsor will determine which Prize goes to which Winner. Because of the random drawing, Winner might not be offered the same Prize of the character they named in their Comment to the Sweepstakes Post on Instagram. Sponsor will be responsible for delivering/shipping each prize to each Winner. Total ARV of all prizes combined: $3,000. No cash redemptions by winners. All fees, federal, state and other taxes relating to the use, acceptance and possession of the prize are the responsibility of the Winner. In the case of unavailability of prize, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
All unspecified expenses are the responsibility of winners. Limit one (1) prize per person or household.
- General Conditions: Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Sweepstakes. Participation in Sweepstakes and/or acceptance of prize constitutes each winner’s permission for Sponsor to use his/her name, address (city and state), likeness, photograph, picture, portrait, voice, biographical information, Submission and/or any statements made by each Winner regarding the Sweepstakes or Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Sweepstakes or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes by cheating, deception or other unfair playing practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor’s representatives. Sponsor is not responsible for typographical or other errors in the offer or administration of the Sweepstakes, including but not limited to errors in the advertising, Official Rules, selection and announcement of the winners and distribution of the prizes. Sponsor is not responsible for entries that are lost, late, garbled, damaged, illegible or otherwise deficient or incompletely received for any reason. Released Parties (defined below) are not responsible for: (i) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware or software; (ii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or telephone or Internet service; (iii) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Sweepstakes; (iv) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the Sweepstakes or the processing of entries; or (v) any injury or damage to persons or property, including but not limited to entrant’s computer, hardware or software, which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Sweepstakes. Sponsor further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify any promotion not capable of completion as planned, including but not limited to by tampering, unauthorized intervention, pandemics, epidemics, or force majeure. In such case, Sponsor may select the winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or web site. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.)
- Release: By participating in the Sweepstakes, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Instagram and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, divisions, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors (the “Released Parties”), from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever, including without limitation, property damage, personal injury (including emotional distress), and/or death, which may occur in connection with preparation for, or participation in, the Sweepstakes, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of the prize or participation in any Sweepstakes -related or prize-related activity and for any claims or causes of action based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. The Released Parties assume no responsibility for any injury or damage to entrants or to any other person’s computer, regardless of how caused, relating to or resulting from entering or downloading materials or software in connection with this Sweepstakes.
- Disputes: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant or Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Minnesota, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Minnesota, or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Minnesota. Entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes, or any prizes awarded, other than the administration of the Sweepstakes or the determination of winners shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota or the appropriate Minnesota State Court located in Hennepin County, Minnesota; (ii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (iii) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise
- List of Winners. To obtain a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by Friday, November 6, 2020 to: Monster Cereal Sweepstakes, Department S8153W, P.O. Box 4006, Grand Rapids, MN 55730-4006 (“Administrator”)
- Sponsor. General Mills, Inc., 1 General Mills Blvd, Golden Valley, MN 55426.
THIS PROMOTION IS IN NO WAY SPONSORED, ENDORSED OR ADMINISTERED BY, OR ASSOCIATED WITH INSTAGRAM. YOU ARE PROVIDING YOUR INFORMATION TO SPONSOR AND NOT TO INSTAGRAM.